Somer Storm

Somer Storm

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

You're a Mean One Mrs. Grinch

Okay. I promise this is not a mushy post but I love being married to Jessica. Not because of all the clichés you hear married folks say, but it is discovering the things about her that you would never imagine. For example, everyone who knows me knows
that there are three holiday traditions above anything else that I have always done. The first is watching the movie “It’s a Wonderful Life.” In my mind, Christmas does not begin until we watch the life and times of George Bailey. GB had it rough, but what a wonderful life it was. The second tradition that is only three years old, but a must in our house is our annual ugly pajamas party. I cannot wait to blog about it and just in case Jess shares in her blog JesInTime, I have one every year so far. That’s my story and I am sticking to it(LOL). And the last tradition that has happened as long as I can remember is taking out my favorite Christmas Cds and blasting it throughout our home. Nothing says Christmas like a family, a glass of wine, and the Temptation’s “Silent Night filling the house.”

Well last night, I found out that Jess; my Royal Rib and one of the great joys of my life, does NOT like Christmas music. What! It’s true. Now here is a woman that adores everything Thanksgiving. From turkey dinners, to thanksgiving reefs (which I never heard about before her) she is all about Thanksgiving. On top of that, she is also the first one to break out all of the Christmas ornaments and decorations, but when it comes to “I saw mama kissing Santa Claus” somebody call the Mayor of Whoville, because she is the Grinch that stole Christmas music LOL.  I have to admit that when she first shared with me her dislike for Christmas music, I was a tad bit devastated.  Okay, that was a bit dramatic but when she shared the news, I wondered what would happen to one of my favorite traditions.

But then Jess said “even though she doesn't like it, she wanted me to play my music because it was important to me.” For her it was not about her taste in music as it was important that we both get to share with one another what was important to us.  How awesome is that! After all what is a tradition if it is not shared? No matter what your traditions are, it is always more meaningful when they are shared with persons you love. So from now on, we share with one another things we did growing up and things we've hoped to be able to do with new friends and family and those past individual experiences are now our traditions.  

So starting today, instead of taking for granted that I know everything there is to know, I will celebrate my relationships; rejoicing when I am reminded why they are special to me and delighting in every new discovery about them along our journey together.


What are your traditions? We would love to hear them. You never know. What you used to do, could one day become what we do and every year around this time we could share “Our” traditions with one another.  I can’t wait to Easter! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment