Somer Storm

Somer Storm

Friday, December 13, 2013

You're On My List (and I don't mean X-Mas)


The other day, I put a post on twitter @PKSomerville where I asked everyone to “Write a list of things that were important?" An amazing thing happened when I put the post up.
Only one person responded. LOL. At first I have to admit that my feelings were slightly bruised. I couldn't believe out of the 100 people following me (Ha), only one person took the time to share what was important. I then decided to post it on my face book page @KeithSomerville and do you know I received a whopping zero responses. Jess said it has something to do with the fact that I post my thoughts at ridiculous times of the night. That maybe so, but I mean talk about not making an impact. I just knew when the thought came to mind, that people would shoot me their very thoughtful and sincere list. But oh no! I began to ponder on why everyone ignored the query and after writing out a new list, I finally came to two reasons that seem to make the most sense.

First, it is very possible that people were afraid to say what was important to them publicly. Even though we seem to be transparent through the various social media outlets, the truth is that people are only transparent about meaningless dribble. As a person to list ten things about themselves and they will tell you their favorite color, they love ice cream, and was once won a R.Kelly look-a-like contest but ask someone something that reals their true self, and all of a sudden you hit a dead zone area.

The second reason that people usually don’t respond to questions like “write a list of the things that are important to you” is because after careful consideration two things emerge. The things that are truly important to you are too embarrassing to admit or you realize that you have been so consumed with taking the best selfie you can that you have absolutely nothing in your life that is important to you.

Now I know that someone reading this blog, will take my thoughts as an insult and undoubtedly reply negatively. Where I respect and accept all views concerning my blog, I will ask that you take into consideration. Who you love to be with and what you love to do is connected to what you find most important to you. So after God, my wife, family, preaching the Gospel, Socrates, friends, walking with people as we journey together, and riding my motorcycle I love to share my thoughts with anyone who would read them.

That’s my list. Check out JessInTime to read her blog. What is yours?  

No comments:

Post a Comment