Somer Storm

Somer Storm

Friday, April 10, 2015

The Prophetic Illusion

The death of Gardner C. Taylor and William Augustus Jones has done many things. One in particular is given me clarity into the greater Vision God has for my life. Both men were not only pulpit giants; prophetically preaching God’s Word with power and poetry, but they walked the talk of advancing the civil liberties of all people around the globe.


I was a generational member of Bethany Baptist Church led by Dr. Jones and a graduate of Concord Elementary school founded by Dr. Taylor. Admittedly, I had no idea at the time the movement these two men were leading but like so many others, benefited from many sermons and personal conversations concerning the plight of the human race and the call to accountability for those who were blessed to receive the education and community support to help change the course of lives for all. For years after that, God placed such persons as these in my life to encourage me and be a beacon of light and hope in a sometimes very dark world. Through their sermons and writing, they constantly imparted in us the knowledge of self-worth, and the need for fortitude in staying true to our faith, convictions, and the responsibility to better the lives of others would encounter.

Amongst the African-American (mostly Baptist) community these men were modern day Moses’ leading us to the promised land of redemption and equality. But there are many whom have no idea who these or others were who sacrificed much and dedicated their lives to the call of God and the uplift of others. At first the thought of them fading into insignificance because there was no national holiday dedicated to them or monuments erected in their image saddened me because I felt that they deserved the applause and the accolades we give so many others who only lived to entertain us. But then as I reflected on their lives and the messages they so eloquently preached, I realized they did not do it for notoriety. Renown and reputation was not what they hungered for or dedicated their lives in pursuit of. They did not seek fame and eminence but only sought to honor God and make a difference in the lives of others through their faithfulness.

Even though I was closer to them than some, I did not truly know their work, but like thousands of others, I still reap the benefits of their labor. And for me that is what a prophet’s life should be about. Others should reap the benefits of our effort! That means through our work, families are fed physically and spiritually, children educated and encouraged, communities thriving and all persons knowing that where they are is not where God intended for them to stay. There is so much more.


So whether you see yourself as having a prophetic voice or not, if we never receive the applause or get the accolades, I pray that we make an impact on the lives on some through our obedience to the “call” on our lives and that as these men and many others before us have heard God will say to us “Well done my good and faithful servant.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment